I LOVE LOVE LOVE bread. Though I’m generally good and don’t over eat it as my stomach can’t handle too much. I wouldn’t say I have gluten allergies just excessive inhalation of bread does me no good.
So the first bread I ever made was this potato dinner roll recipe I got from Gather for Bread. I tell you its the best ever! So good that I made it THREE times within 2 weeks! Well I’m no bread maker so I decided I’d modify this recipe and make a loaf.
Whole Wheat Bread 1 Loaf
- 3-3 1/2 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat 2 1/2 cups bread flour)
- 2 1/4 tsp fast rising yeast
- 1 Egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup warm milk (~110F)
- 1/4 cup soft unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Add half the flours along with the yeast and mix. Add milk, sugar, salt and butter and mix on low until well combined.
- Add in the rest of the flour it by bit and egg and knead about 7 minutes (more if you are kneading by hand). The dough should be smooth and elastic, add more flour if it is still too sticky Shape the dough into a ball and place in a greased owl and cover and let rise ~ 1 hour.
3. Press down the dough gently and let rest on the counter for about 15 minutes or so. Shape the dough and place in greased loaf pan.4. Let rest again till the dough is an inch over the pan. Mine took about 25 minutes.5. At this time preheat the oven to 350F. Bake the loaf for about 30-40 minutes. You may have to cover it with foil half way through if it is browning on the top too much. Bread is done when its hollow at the bottom (tap). Cool on wire rack before serving.